Week 08: Podcasts
The following will provide tutorials, definitions and resources for podcasting. You are not required to look at all of the material, but search it until you feel that you have a good understanding of what is required for you to fulfill the assignment.
|Table of contents|
What is a Podcast?
Podcasts are audio programs that are broadcasted over the Internet. They are MP3 files which can be downloaded onto a compatible digital player or played on your computer. You can download one or many, for free (generally), or you can subscribe to an RSS service for downloads so you can be alerted when new postings are made available. The name podcast comes from compounding the words iPod and broadcast.
- Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting)
- PBWiki (http://podcasting101.pbwiki.com/)
- Yahoo (http://podcasts.yahoo.com)
- PodcastAlley (http://www.podcastalley.com/what_is_a_podcast.php)
- iLounge (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/understanding-the-podcasting-revolution)
- Wired (http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,70884-0.html)
- Apple’s page (http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/podcasting/)
Links to Learning
How to subscribe and listen to them:
- You will need a ‘podcast software client’ that will download the feed via your Internet connection:
- For Windows, Mac or Linux (multi-platform podcasting application) see: iPodder (http://www.ipodder.org/whatIsIpodder).
- For windows see: NIMIQ (http://www.nimiq.nl/), podfeeder (http://www.podfeeder.com/), or Doppler (http://www.dopplerradio.net/).
- For Mac see PlayPod(http://www.iggsoftware.com/playpod/).
- This will create a download of a small text file called “.pcast”. This tells your music software what podcast to download, then notifies you of new episodes whenever they are available.
- You can listen to podcasts directly from your computer. If you want to take a podcast with you, any MP3 player or iPod will work. You do not need iTunes.
iTunes info (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-itunes-49-with-podcasts/)Yahoo info (http://podcasts.yahoo.com/start?i=3) Podcast Alley info (http://www.podcastalley.com/forum/links.php)
These are samples of subscription 'badges:'
- Subscribe to at least one podcast
- Follow it for a week
- Post a link to the podcast's website to your blog
- Describe your favorite moments in the podcast